For over a year, I’ve tinkered with my “whole food smoothies” made with a Blendtec blender. You may have noticed that a mason jar of this green-gray sludge sits on my desk each morning. It has become my sustenance between an early morning breakfast and a late lunch. I can’t count how many times I’ve been asked, “what’s in that?” in the most polite but quizzical intonation. Now here’s the answer!
Equipment: Blendtec or similar high-power blender.
The following loose recipe can be altered to your taste and produce availability.
Makes 2 full sized (32 oz.) mason jars—give the other to your sweetie like I do, or save it for the next day. All measurements are approximate. This is actually an important aspect because once you make a few batches, you’ll gain an easier time throwing together the ingredients without much time measuring.
* teaspoonful of chia seeds
* teaspoonful of flax seeds
* teaspoonful of soy lecithin granules
* teaspoonful of honey
* scoop of protein powder (I use Trader Joe’s Hemp protein powder)
* optional 1/4 cup yogurt]
* handful of frozen blueberries
* 6-12 fresh strawberries, washed and sliced in half
* EITHER one banana or half avocado (both help make a smooth consistency)
* 1 lemon squeezed
* 1 of the following: a fist size of fresh cut pineapple, melon, apple, orange/grapefruit with as much rind as possible, or similar fruit.
* 4-5 stalks of kale chopped in 1” segments
* 1 celery stalk chopped
* 1/4 cucumber sliced
* bunch of parsley chopped
Anti-inflammatory roots: Be generous with these roots, but alter to taste.
* Fresh turmeric root peeled and chopped – try thimble size
* Fresh ginger root peeled and chopped – try thumb size
* [optional 1 clove garlic peeled and chopped]
Place each ingredient into the blender as you prepare it, in the order above, then add 4-6 ice cubes on top. Finally, add cold water to about the halfway line. You can always add more water later if it comes out too thick, so until you have the science down, keep the water line under halfway. Press the “Whole Juice” preset button on your blender, and after about a minute you have your nutrition in a jar! Bon Apetit!